Custom checkout fields are fields that you add to the checkout step of your ecommerce store using a custom module or a plugin. You use a module because the ecommerce platform does not allow you to add these fields by default. For example, Magento allows you to add only specific fields to checkout by default. If you want to add custom field to checkout in Magento 2 i.e. a field that is not included in the default options, you have to use a third party extension.
For example, you may want to add a ‘Why Did You Find Us’ dropdown to know which marketing channel is most effective. Since this field is not supported by default, you can use an extension to add this. Similarly, you may need other details from customers.
Adding custom fields to your checkout page offers many benefits. Following are the top 10 benefits.
- Improved customer experience: Custom checkout fields allow you to collect information that is relevant to your business and your customers. This can help streamline the checkout process and make it more personalized for the customer.
- Increased sales: By collecting relevant information about your customers, you can tailor your marketing and sales efforts to better meet their needs. This can help increase conversions and sales.
- Better data management: These fields allow you to collect and manage data about your customers in a more organized and structured way. This can help you make more informed decisions about your business and improve your operations.
- Enhanced security: Custom checkout fields can help improve the security of your online store by allowing you to collect information that can be used to verify the identity of your customers.
- Increased customer loyalty: By making the checkout process more personalized and efficient, custom checkout fields can help improve the overall customer experience and increase customer loyalty.
- Improved order accuracy: By collecting relevant information about your customers and their orders, you can reduce errors and improve the accuracy of your orders.
- Enhanced marketing efforts: By collecting data about your customers, you can better understand their preferences and tailor your marketing efforts to better meet their needs.
- Better customer service: By collecting relevant information about your customers, you can provide better customer service by being able to quickly and easily access their order history and preferences.
- Improved shipping and delivery: Custom fields can help improve the efficiency of your shipping and delivery processes by allowing you to collect information that is relevant to the delivery of your products.
- Enhanced product customization: Custom checkout fields can allow you to offer customized products to your customers and collect the necessary information to create those products.